Jersey Arts Centre has been commissioning new work since 2002 and our inaugural Theatre-in-Education production of Once Upon An Island… by Brendan Murray.
Since that time we have created and made new work for the stage, for the walls of the Berni Gallery, in poetry, and with various projects during the recent pandemic lockdowns – all with and for our Island community.
All our commissions culminate in public performances, or exhibitions, for all to experience.
The commissioned work of our pioneering Theatre-in-Education company can be found here!
The Berni Gallery time-constrained, commissioned exhibitions – involving over 40 Jersey artists – follow in the footsteps of the hugely successful:
- 5×4 / 2006
- Self Portrait / 2011
- Conflict / 2014
- Sporting Bodies / 2015
- woman / man / 2016
- Art 35 / 2018
- the dance / 2019
- liberation / 2020
We are currently planning for the commissioning of: Jersey and the Crown for HM The Queen’s 70th Jubilee Celebrations in June 2022.
Jersey Arts Centre remains committed to commissioning new work, allowing companies and individual artists the chance to explore, create, discover, and be inspired by their own creative process and challenges.
Creating this new work has allowed creatives the space to experiment with new ideas, and realise original and forward-thinking work in and for the Island, enhancing Jersey Arts Centre’s professional, dynamic programme.
Our commissions have included:
- Once Upon An Island… by Brendan Murray / September 2002-2004
- A further seven Theatre-in-Education projects / 2004 onwards
- stage directions by Jacqueline Mézec / Celebrating 25 Years / January 2008
- Echo Wood by Sir Andrew Motion / Festival 30 / January 2013
- x15 poems for 100 Poems and the 2014-2018 WW1 Commemorations / 2014-2016
- #35 [insert title with meaning / in celebration] by Nicky Mesch / Festival 35 / January 2018
- Music from Art’Comedia for our adaptation of A Christmas Carol / July-December 2019
- The liberation exhibition / Liberation 75 / February 2020
- A further seven time-constrained exhibitions for the Berni Gallery / 2006 onwards
- x17 poems for the Liberation 75 Celebrations / May 2020-May 2021
- Scenes from a… / 46 scenes from 9 Island writers / January-March 2021
- Hiding Place by Martha MacDonald / Directed by Lucy Abraham / April-October 2021
- Bathtime for Britain by Dr Adam Perchard / August 2020-April 2021
We will shortly be announcing the performances of a new play from our 2021 commissions. This new theatre piece will première at Jersey Arts Centre in July 2022; it has been written by Jacqueline Mézec and will be directed by Daniel Austin. Watch this Space!